• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

RAF Post Office Medmenham Marlow Bucks

Started by Michael Dobbs, February 17, 2021, 11:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received the following from John Enfield, Editor of the British Postmark Society Journal:

[color=maroon]I have recently found amongst miscellaneous postmarks sent to me by a correspondent in York the attached circular rubber stamp of 'RAF Post Office / * Medmenham Marlow Bucks*'.  I see this type of undated mark is referred to in Collect British Postmarks, Chapter 16 (p.327 in the 9th edition), as being for internal use, but here it has been used as a canceller on external mail. It can be dated to 1970-71, between the issue of the large 20p stamp and decimal day.  Do you know anyone who might be interested in it? Free to a good home.[/color]

I checked "Postal Markings of the RAF, RFC and RNAS Stations in the United Kingdom 1918-1968" by Bill Garrard, published by the FPHS 1990 and it is not listed under RAF Medmenham.  There is a similar undated mark listed for 1956-59 but without the stars. 

There is a similar undated one with stars listed for RAF Syerston, Newark in 1959 and another for RAF Sutton-on-Hull, Yorkshire but with no recorded dates.

If anyone would like it please notify me.

Thanks, Mike