• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Rates from the Mediterranean

Started by Michael Johnston, February 18, 2021, 04:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Johnston

Can someone give me clarity on these rates which I struggle to understand? Are all correct and why?

Registered at FPO 3d envelope plus 10d in stamps March 1942 from Syria to Basutoland
On active letter May 1944 through FPO from Italy to Basutoland no charge
Army air letter August 1944 through FPO from Italy to South Africa 3d
Forces air letter August 1945 through civilian post from London to Kenya 1.5d
Army air letter October 1945 through FPO from Lebanon to Basutoland no charge
Army air letter January 1947 through FPO from Egypt to South Africa no charge
On active service letter December 1947 through FPO from Egypt to South Africa 3d
Registered at FPO 3d envelope plus 2.5d in stamps April 1948 through FPO from Egypt to South Africa
Forces Air Mail May 1951 through FPO from Egypt to Seychelles 2.5d
Forces air mail letter My 1951 through FPO from Egypt to Seychelles 5d
Registered at FPO 4d envelope plus 4.5d in stamps August 1952 from Egypt to London
Forces Air Mail May 1955 through FPO from Egypt to Seychelles 10d

I am particularly puzzled why army mail from Egypt to Southern Africa had 3d affixed while, in the same period, from Egypt to Indian Ocean was only 2.5d. I'm sure someone can give me a simple answer.

Many thanks, Michael

Neil Williams

Michael

I have a little knowledge (a dangerous thing..) of MEF rates from my Aden and Somaliland studies.

The main issue for you are the rules on Forces Concession rates. Generally speaking, mail to 'country of origin' of the individual went at a lower rate than mail elsewhere.

For MEF/EAF on 1 April 1945 there was a FREE concession to country of origin introduced, with mail both within MEF and not to country of origin charged at different reduced rates. There were weight limits.
The rates changed on 1 May 1947 (free to 1 1/2as in Aden), and again on 1 April 1948 (to 2 1/2as), and the other rates would also have changed.
The 1948 rates were maintained until the FPO/Forces Mail system was introduced. (I don't know when this happened for Egypt, somebody else should know, early 50s I think). At that point, half ounce airmail to 'country of origin', went at the UK surface letter rate, whilst mail elsewhere went at the equivalent UK rate. (eg mail Egypt to USA would go at the UK-USA rate)

Registration would have been at the normal local rate, followed by the UK Overseas Registered Letter rate.

This is a simplification, but may give you an idea of what might have been going on.

Hope it's useful

Neil Williams

Colin Tabeart

Hello Michael,
There is NO SIMPLE ANSWER! Rates varied with: date, station, destination, weight, type of letter (eg ordinary paper, air letter, etc). At times surface mail was free, at times even air letters were free. Air mail rates varied with date and place of posting and destination. A 500 page book might cover it, but I am not going to write it!
Colin

Michael Johnston

Many thanks for your expert advice regarding this rates mine field, Michael