• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Port depot ship Rosyth

Started by Michael Gould, March 04, 2021, 04:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Gould

I have just picked up a discussion on this subject from several months back. In it, Michael Dobbs quotes some list which claims Crescent was a sub depot ship in 1917, was a Scapa 1917-18 and was general depot ship on the Forth in 1919. This does not accord with the data given in the Navy Lists which does not change in any basic way from 1917 on. The November 1917 list, for example, lists Crescent as the Rosyth flagship. The first officer listed is Admiral Burney CinC Coast of Scotland, address Rosyth and goes on to list his personal staff. Staff are listed for various places on the Forth and also on the Clyde, plus a couple of other places. I have always believed she was the general base-ship on the Forth throughout. Incidentally, a sub base ships lists the officers listed as 'for subs' and I have not found this for any of the naval lists I have. Does anyone have any other information about HMS Crescent> Michael