• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

1925 APO 40 Combination Registered Cover Germany

Started by Peter Harvey, March 06, 2021, 10:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

I am posting this as I thought members would be interested, sadly a front - but an exceptional combination which I think you would only find on a Registered Letter.

APO S.40 is by far one of the more common datestamps used on mail from Germany in WW1. From the date it opened in Cologne, it was used on huge amount of mail. However, the S/R types are more unusual and those from the sub-offices are scarce. I assume as the drawdown in Germany progressed and the wide geographical spread of the sub-office datestamps means there were even fewer troops mailing through these offices and the s/r types were for counter use, where bagged mail was still handled through Cologne and then Weisbaden with the D/R S.40 used to 1929.

This cover shows a 40A numbering to the registration label and them the APO.S40 A used from GHQ Wiesbaden this date, then with the APO S.40 E same date which Proud lists at Leidenhaussen Camp.

Looking at the Map of Cologne area, Leidenhausen is near Cologne Airport. So my thoughts are this was handled through the sub-office prior to despatch by air.

Any comments?

Peter

Jim Mackay

A nice cover, but seems to be underpaid for airmail.

This cover, postmarked APO S40 code D dated 31 Dec 1924, is franked at 1/6 1/2d for airmail to UK.

I don't have a note of airmail rates to hand for this period.

Jim

Ingo Egerlandt

Hi Peter,

Cologne has got a Airport in Nortwest of Köln, but is closed in the 70th an now a Museum. Airport Köln-Bonn opened later.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flughafen_K%C3%B6ln-Butzweilerhof

Butzweilerhof war a Base from BAOR.

Ingo