• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

1973 Censored Letter - RAF Aldergrove.

Started by Peter Harvey, March 09, 2021, 05:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

I would welcome members views on this cover, it is not mine, but I spotted it and though I would ask this question. My initial thoughts are forgery?

I assume a forgery, as i have not seen censored mail into Northern Ireland (let alone anywhere else with the RAF in 1973).

Regards

Michael Dobbs

Peter
I think I would agree with you that it is almost certainly a forgery - there is no signature of the "censor" and also how can it have been censored as it does not appear to have been opened and re-sealed.

I have no heard of any requirements for mail from UK or overseas addressed to HM Forces in Northern Ireland to be censored.  If that was the case I think we would have heard long before now.

Mike  :)

Nick Colley

Concur. It makes no sense, and the censorship of INCOMING  mail to forces personnel in NI from overseas seems to be incoherent at first sight. It is quite incomprehensible. If anyone produces a 3rd Edition of Daynes, perhaps he/she should add a chapter entitled 'Complete Bollocks' ?  ;D. In fact I'll download the images and file in a sub-folder entitled exactly that.

Adios
N

Nick Colley

Just a thought, but might this be worth a note in the Journal: Advice to Members - Beware of Piss-Takers?

I'll be content to write it, but maybe with a less abrasive title.  :D What do you think?

chrs
N

Peter Harvey

Nick,

If you would like to buy it, it is for sale on eBay. I advised the dealer of its credentials (not your language), but have not heard back.

The thing that really annoys me about ebay is the fact that noone (other than me it seems) bothers to describe there items they are selling or offer any details, research, advice etc etc etc.

So buyer beware.

Peter

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team

Interesting piece which certainly appears to have been 'fabricated'  Censored mails however do exist from this period.  Mail into and out of 'Long Kesh' was censored.

Interesting times for mail.

Chris

Nick Colley

Yes, the marks illustrated on pages 57-59 of Daynes 2nd edition refer, Chris.

chrs
N