• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Swiss Military Censor Label 1942

Started by Peter Gassmann, March 13, 2021, 04:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Gassmann

Hello All

Here is a cover with a Swiss (?) Military label. Not 100% sure it is actually censorship, but the text in French "A transmettre au Centre de contrĂ´le" ("To be sent to the Control Centre") sounds at least a bit like it. Issued by 2nd Division. Sent to Faverge, around 20km south of Geneva. At this time part of Vichy France. Has anyone seen something like that before? Any comments?

(a cover from the same sender to the same receiver in October 1943 was censored by the German censorship in Lyon, without such a label)

best regards, Peter

Peter Harvey

Hi Peter,

It is a customs label, can not say hat I know much about them but from Horgen to Haute Savoie the mail is likely to have travelled via Geneva and crossed the boarder at that point. I am sure th Swiss would have covered all of the mountain routes, but maybe not the German Censor.

Peter

Peter Gassmann

Neil Williams

Peter,

the likely reason for the 1943 cover having German Censorship and this earlier one not, is that Vichy France, into which these covers would have passed from Switzerland, was unoccupied by the Germans until November 1942. Can't help if that's a French or a Francophone Swiss label. My gut feeling would be French, as why would the Swiss be interested in commercial mail leaving their country?

Neil

Peter Gassmann

thanks Neil! That makes sense regarding German censorship.

Looking at the label it somehow "feels" Swiss (I'm Swiss :-) ). The 2nd Division of the Swiss Army would have been located in that area, but I could not find more details yet. Don't know much about the French army structures.

best regards, Peter

Alan Baker

If it were a Swiss label, wouldn't it have bi-lingual wording?

Peter Gassmann

not strictly necessary bi-lingual, but often.

just stumbled over a similar item which clearly does not have a connection to Switzerland. so it seems the Douane / Customs label is French: https://shop.strato.com/epages/61441985.sf/fr_BE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61441985/Products/T.MAR.0012

best regards, Peter