• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

The only oval registration mark used in Italy

Started by Frank Schofield, May 31, 2021, 08:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Schofield

The only oval registration datestamp used in Italy, was located at Army Post Office L.1. at the main base at Arquata, just north of Genoa.
The attached cover originated at Army Post Office S.100, at Taranto, on 30th June 1918, there appears to be an error because the date on the registered label has been crossed out in blue crayon, there also a large letter 'P' in blue, possibly the postal clerks initial applied.
The printed 2d stamp is postmarked 1st July 1918
The cover has travelled north and arrived at the main base, and backstamped with the oval datestamp on 3rd July 1918, the backstamp is slightly smudged with bottom of the 'L'  unclear. This is the only copy I have seen in over 30 years of collecting this subject.
The cover arrived in London on 8th July on it's way to Dover.

Frank Schofield

Alan Baker

Frank Schofield

Alan

It is (CM8) No 382, I record 50 items from APO S.100, with this censor mark

Frank

Michael Dobbs

Frank

An excellent item, even an exceptional item as I suspect the oval registration marks are rare.

Mike  :)

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Frank

Have had a second look at this exceptional item,

Firstly it answers one of my questions on Registration. 

Blank pre-cancelled labels were used at APO S 100 prior to the pre-printed labels. Or these had run out and they reverted to the Blank labels.

Secondly, the label was pre-cancelled prior to application on the envelope, at larger busier offices it was the policy to cancel one or more sheets (of 50) to speed up operations.  This example cancelled 30 June was obviously left over at the end of the day and used the following day.  First example I've seen where the date was crossed out.

Chris