• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Admiralty Report WWI

Started by Tony Walker, July 02, 2021, 11:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

I recently acquired a 30+ hand written report prepared by Commander Locker Lampson on his activities as Commander of the RNAS Armoured Car Division fighting on the Russian front in Romania and Austria/Hungary in 1917.  It is not in Locker Lampson's own hand, but copied at the time by presumably a clerk or similar person. Would such a person be part of a Division?

As I understand it, a Commanders report (original ) would go to the Admiralty, a second hand written copy by a clerk (say) would be retained by the originator and a third copy often made for record purposes or for another recipient.  In this instance the Report (see scan) was written at Tiraspol on 1 February 1917, and at the end states "Copied by A.-.-----? on 14th April 1917 being Locker Lampson's report (Confidential) to Sir J Hills Johnes VC etc."

Sir Hills Johnes at this time was an elderly retired Lieutenant General from the Service of the Royal Artillery.  Why would Locker Lampson send him a report?  The only connection I can find is that Hills Johnes inspected the Armoured Car Division prior to it's embarkation at Liverpool in December 1915 on its way to Russia.  Hills Johnes died in 1919 at the age of 85.

I doubt whether anyone can decipher the name of the person who did the copying.
Observations welcomed

Cheers
Tony

Alan Baker

It looks like AM Green, but the chances of finding the writer are very remote (5,564 on FWR for A Green!)

Tony Walker

Still on this subject, I am transcribing part of Locker Lampson's manuscript report to the Admiralty of 1 February 1917 to go with a postal history item.  The original copy I have was made by a clerk attached to the armoured car division, for sending to Lt Gen Hills-Jones VC. See attached

There is one word I cannot decipher, and knowing the talent expressed over the years by Forum members in this area, I seek your help.

Third paragraph, 4th line : " me that no chance of ......?  warfare was anticipated..."

Cheers
Tony

Alan Baker

Tony Walker

Got it in one I reckon !

Thanks Alan

Might send you the other 29 pages to have a go at....