• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Promotion of German POW in POW Camps

Started by John Cranmer, September 11, 2021, 11:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cranmer

This is an entry in the Luftwaffe Officers career web pages

http://www.ww2.dk/lwoffz.html

for Walter Wulknitz - I have one of his POW cards sent from Canada

WÜLKNITZ, Walter. 10.05.40 Oblt. in 1./KG 30 POW – in Ju 88 A-2 (4D+FT) forced down by AA damage
after attacking a cruiser in Rotterdam [Version #2: hit accidentally by a Bf 109], belly-landed at
Zevenhuisen. [b]01.02.42 promo to Hptm. 01.08.44 officially listed as a POW or internee in a neutral
[/b]
The part I am interested in is the "01.02.42 promoted to Hauptman ......."

How did this work and was it authorised only by the senior German officers in the Camp - in this case Camp 30 - or was it somehow authorised from Germany on the recommendation of the camp officers.  From this listing it also seems that he was only officially listed as a POW 6 months later.

As is often the case I am confused.

John

Peter Harvey

Hi John,

First can i say thank you for the website link, I had not seen this before, most interesting location for research.

I think promotions were authorised at camp level on all sides, both WW1 & WW2. Clearly, this would have been by the camp senior German officer.

Regards
Peter

Marc Parren

Hi John,
In this case I think Walter Wulknitz was involved in the May 1940 attack of the Low Countries and bellied landed at Zevenhuizen the first day of the attack. Even if he was taken a PoW that day since the Netherlands surrendered after 5 days following the bombardment of Rotterdam, and after the Germans threatened to do the same with Amsterdam, he was released when the Germans occupied the entire country. So his promotion in February 1942 was while he was still serving at the Luftwaffe. Only in August 1944 he got (again) PoW or interned somewhere at another front. I hope this makes sense.
Regards
Marc

John Cranmer

Marc
Thank you for the thoughts but I do not think that your interpretation can be correct.  I di not post a scan of the POW card I have as it was not really relevant to my question.  This card is a very standard free post POW card from Camp 30 - Bowmanville.  But the key is that it was written on the 12th December 1941 and postmarked at the BASE A.P.O. on the 18th.  So he was definitely in Canada in December 1941.

There are many other references to POWs being promoted during captivity.  I was just interested in how the system worked.

According to the internet the plane crashed at Zevenhuizen the first day of the attack as you say.  However there are at least three different reasons given on web pages as to why he crashed.  The link above has two and I found another on a site. 
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/54420

https://www.jets-are-for-kids.ch/pdf/fokker_d21_nl1940_FlyPast_03-2020.pdf
also credits Droste

1) Hit by flak.
2) Accidentally shot down by a Messerschmitt Bf 109.
3) Shot down by Dutch pilot Luitenant F.G.B. Droste flying Fokker D XXI.

Given the confusion there must have been on the 10th I am not surprised and will probably never know the actual reason but the 3 may be the truth.

John