• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

WW1 MFA ship

Started by Tony Walker, January 02, 2022, 12:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

I have a couple of WW1 naval PPC's with the mark M.F.A. B6120 plus a censor mark :
Censored by master (not in Gould).

One card shows a picture in Greece, the other of Alexandria. Both cards addressed to a J N Osaley? at Plough Lane in Purley, Surry.

I cannot find anything on the internet to tell me about this MFA.  I'm sure it's there somewhere - can anyone help please

Cheers
Tony

Peter Harvey

Hi Tony,

I wonder if the MFA could refer to Mercantile Fleet Auxiliary (or Merchant Fleet Auxiliary), I am sure others will comment. The B6120 maybe a convoy?

I searched for Osaley, this really would be an unusual name, could it be Moseley....that is a new common to Purley if you Google this.

Regards

Peter

Tony Walker

Thanks Peter.

Yes I had realised the MFA designation, and thought maybe the B6120 was identifying a particular ship which had been requisitioned or hired.  There would probably have been a great number of them

Cheers
Tony

Nick Colley

Hi, all,

Tony, like you, I assume the designator B6120 referred to the vessel. Now, as it happens, while I was looking for my Scilly Islands item, I came across my own item from the Hillender-Oseley correspondence. Scans, I hope, attached. I STILL can't find the wretched Scilly Islands item. Damned if I know where to look next  >:(

Anyway, reverting to the B6120 item, I draw your attention to the subject of the picture side of the card - a tourist attraction of Salonica - and the 9 day difference in the dates of the censor mark and the London d/r postmark.

Sadly, I don't suppose this gets us any further forward wrt the i/d of B6120, unless someone has the means and the knowledge to track down 'Captain' H.Hillender?

chrs
N