• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Naval Agent - Jamaica

Started by Tony Walker, January 03, 2022, 09:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

Has anyone come across the cachet NAVAL AGENT / JAMAICA?

I have this cachet around the inside of an oval frame with the date 28.9.18 added in pen across the centre.  The envelope is O.H.M.S. and has no other markings and is addressed to Messers D Henderson & Co., Kingston. 

There is a  machine cancel on the reverse of KIINGSTON / SEP 28 - 18 / JAMAICA which probably should have gone on the other side.

The Forum is uncharacteristically quiet just now - everyone got hangovers?

Peter Harvey

Hi Tony,

I am sure everyone will be over their hangovers in a day or two and the forum will return to its usual chat.

I have attached a part page from the BWISC Encyclopaedia Vol 9 Military Mails, I assume this is the cachet that you refer to.

Peter

Michael Dobbs

Peter - you beat me to it! As soon as I saw the topic I immediately thought of that book!
No hangover here - far too busy with Society issues!

Tony Walker

Thanks Peter (and Mike).  Yes that's the cachet.  It is almost certainly one of the two covers referred to in the article.  Seems a nice one

I wonder whether the Naval Agent refers to an individual within a Naval establishment, or to the establishment itself.

Jamaica did contribute men and supplies to the war, so a government agent based there is extremely likely.

I think I'll take all these  protestations of sobriety over the festive season with a pinch of rum.

Cheers