• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

BAPO Z in WW! - Location

Started by Michael Dobbs, January 16, 2022, 10:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I received the following enquiry from an individual in Belgium, my first for 2022:

[color=maroon]Are the BAPO Z cancels during World War I only used in Alexandria/Egypt?[/color]

I responded as follows:

[color=maroon]Thank you for your enquiry below.  I have consulted the following publication:
The Postal History of the British Army in World War I 1903-1929, by Alistair Kennedy and George Crabb, published FPHS 1977
And this states that BAPO Z cancels were only used in Alexandria, Egypt.  The office opened on 5 April 1915 and continued until at least December 1919.
The above publication also states that the earliest known date of a BAPO Z cancel is 10 April 1915.

I will, however, place your query on our members only discussion forum and should that elicit any additional information I will pass that on to you.[/color]

The individual has responded as follows:

[color=maroon]Thanks for your answer.
I was also of the opinion that this stamp was only used in Alexandria, but on Ebay I saw this announcement which made me doubt.[/color]

I have attached the relevant item - I welcome your views, especially of you WW1 and Salonika specialsts!

Thanks, Mike  :)

Nick Colley

Oh, I say - from 'Salonika' with Egypt stamps. Good one. How rare must THAT be?  ;D

N

Michael Dobbs

Thanks Nick - good point, well spotted !!

Peter Harvey

Hi Mike,

Surely from Egypt with Egyptian stamps and the BAPO Z at Alexandria - the reference to Salonika is misleading.

I think on cover these would have been nice, but are likely a collectors item cancelled as they are, the sort of philatelic material that you might see from that period.

Peter

Michael Dobbs

Peter

Thanks for your response - I have to agree with you.  Looking at the items again, I do feel they are philatelic - each stamp nicely cancelled with a BAPO Z marking!

Mike  :)

Nick Colley

Ah, perhaps the sarcasm in my response was not as obvious as I thought it was....  ;)

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team, 

Totally fabricated and certainly never saw the sky's of Salonika. 

I'd suspect Gatt or one of his cronies.

Chris