• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Bullswater Camp Woking 1918

Started by Howard Weinert, March 16, 2022, 02:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard Weinert

When the American 339th Inf. Regt. spent three weeks in England in August 1918 on their way to North Russia, the men were distributed
among several army camps near London. This cover was sent by PFC John A. Potter of Company L. It is postmarked
BULLSWATER CAMP WOKING (10 August 1918). I have not seen any other covers from the Americans at this camp.
Does anyone have any other information on this camp or this postmark?

Michael Dobbs

Howard

I cannot help on information relating to the Camp itself, but your postmark is listed in "Skeleton Postmarks of England & Wales", Third Edition 2006 compiled by Patrick Awcock and John Frost and published by the British Postmark Society.  There is also an extension of the earliest usage date for the last one shown below, listed in the 16th Supplement issued in January 2022.

There appears to be three different types of skeleton datestamp for Bullswater Camp - all with the same inscription:

BULLSWATER CAMP / WOKING 30 AU 14 - 21 SP 14
(28mm in diameter) (Type 14 - date in one line)

BULLSWATER CAMP / WOKING 7 OC 14 - 29 NO 14
(28mm in diameter) (Type 9 - date in two lines: day month / year)

BULLSWATER CAMP / WOKING 10 JU 18 - 22 AU 18
(35½mm in diameter) (Type 9 - date in two lines: day month / year)

Mike

Howard Weinert

Thanks for the information, Mike. Mine is the 35.5 mm variety.

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Howard

Information on Bullswater Camp appears sketchy,  certainly open by October / November 1914.  It's close to Pirbright Camp which was opened in 1875 when the Army purchased  3000 plus acres of land in the area.  Possibly a sub camp opened at the beginning of WWI where it was tented accommodation later replaced by huts.

A very nice item,

Chris