• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

FIELD POST OFFICE 544 at Durban, South Africa on 24 SP 43

Started by Philip Kaye, March 20, 2022, 10:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip Kaye

The scans attached show a cover mailed from Hastings on 10 AUG 43 to "IMP CON. DEPOT Howick" with, on the reverse, a postmark of FPO 544 dated    24 SP 43. There was a Convalescence Depot at Howick in 1900. It would be reasonable to assume that this was also the case in 1943. Proud records no use of this postmark before 11.4.44 but notes "This was held also at Durban but apparently not used". Proud does record FPO 543 at Durban from 3.7.42 to 1.1.44. It is astonishing that no use of FPO 544 at Durban has been recorded for more than 87 years.
A little mystery remains about the reason why "Return to Mum" was endorsed on the reverse. I suggest this can be deduced from the "L 31/11/43" in red crayon on the front of the cover which might be interpreted as "Left on 31/11/43" when, presumably the addressee also "Returned to Mum".
I shall be grateful for any other interpretation or confirmation from Members.
Phil 

Ross Debenham

I have a cover post marked at FPO 543, dated 15 November, 1943. It was sent from a VAD at 181 Military Hospital at Oribi. This post office was located at the Army Regulating Camp at Clairwood, near Durban in South African. This camp was where military members waited to be shipped to ports further north in Africa. Could it be that both 543 and 544 were both stationed at Clairwood, one FPO for dispatch and one for receipt of mails. It appears that all British mails from and to South Africa in the Durban area passed through this/these post offices.

Philip Kaye

thanks, Ross. You could well be right. If 544 was only used as a backstamp. that could account for the fact no example has previously been recorded.
Phil