• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Thomas Cook PO Box 506 service

Started by Michael Dobbs, March 21, 2022, 06:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

American member Martino Laurenzi has some queries on how the Thomas Cook Ltd PO Box 506 service was used:

[color=maroon]Hello, I am working on the communication between Italy and GB during WW2. I would appreciate very much any help with the following information re. Thomas Cook Ltd. intermediation of civil mail from PO BOX 506 in Lisbon.  In particular I'm having trouble understanding the following points:

1. What was the cost of forwarding a letter from Italy to GB? In other words how much did TC charge?
2. Was that charge paid in International Response Coupon? If not, how was it paid?
3. Some of the letters bear a KGV 2 ½ d stamp some from the same period don't. Why?
4. Same consideration goes for the yellow label with the UK address applied by TC over the original one (ie, the one written on the cover addressed to Lisbon) which is not always there. Why? and how was the cover delivered if it was lacking its final UK address?
5. Where was the 2 ½ d stamp applied? It was cancelled in London; given that  on 1 May 1940 the international ex-Commonwealth rate had been brought up to 3d while the domestic rate up to 2 ½ d, is it correct to conclude that the stamp was applied in Londpn, to cover the internal rate?
6. And finally: did the TC forwarding service work also in reverse ie. GB to Italy?[/color]

I hope we have members out there who can help answer at least some of Martino's queries or point him in the right direction.

Thanks, Mike