• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Naval dumb cancel Alexandra wharf

Started by Graham Perfett, May 21, 2022, 04:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Perfett

I recently acquired the attached "Hands across the Sea" postcard cancelled by a naval dumb postmark. The sender gives his address as "Hulk J.S.Stery, Alexandra wharf." and states "having plenty of work here coaling patrol boats." The only Alexandra wharf I am aware of is at Lerwick, Shetland. I have looked through the naval lists of ships (especially colliers) but can not find this one. I may have mis-read his writing and wondered if anyone else has any better ideas on the name of the vessel.

Alan Baker

According to FWR, Able Seaman Lewis Ridland served aboard HMS Avenger, an Armed Merchant Cruiser which spent most of the war patrolling in the North Atlantic as art of the 10th Cruiser Squadron, Northern Patrol

He drowned after falling overboard on 31st May 1917.

HMS Avenger was sunk by U69 on 14th June 1917 north of the Faroes

Looking through the logs on the Old Weather website (https://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-08-HMS_Avenger.htm), I cannot immediately see a mention of her calling at Lerwick

Peter Harvey

Graham,

There is/was an Alexander Wharf in Grimsby and from recollection, his was used for tugs in WW1 and also for smaller vessels under repair.

Peter