• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Townsend Local Russian Cover

Started by Chris Grimshaw, June 13, 2022, 03:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team

Still trying to work out all the Townsend material I have,  cover shown was sent by local / private courier, pencil note 15 & 16. 5. 19 I believe refers to the letter or letters contained within.  Numbered 16,17 & 18 datelined 14? 15th & 16th May 1919.  Townsend at this was working at a Mission in Southern Russia, part of the British Military Mission to South Russia, Denekins Army.

Two queries,

1 Printed at top of envelope in Russian.  What does it mean

2 Tiflis, I believe that is the in going address,  French and Russian? 

Cheers  Chris

Chris Grimshaw

A little more

Two letters which show at top what I think are locations.

French ?  or Russian language ?  These are part of the archive where he's writing to a 17 year old, daughter of a Russian Colonel who became his wife.

Chris

Howard Weinert

Chris,

The front of the envelope is addressed in Russian and French to Elena Vladimirovna Kiteri in Tiflis. The printing at top says British Military Mission.
Both letters were written at Geriusy (now Goris), a small place in Armenia. The letterhead says British Military Mission in Shusha (crossed out and replaced with Geriusy).
Shusha is in Azerbaijan, in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh area.

Howard

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Howard. 

As I attempt to sort this correspondence will post further.  This section I'm looking at is all written in French.

There's also another envelope headed very similar but slightly longer print and printed underneath in English BRITISH MISSION SHUSHA, He was using this envelope in early May 1919, Shusha crossed out and GERUSI added in manuscript.

Cheers

Chris