• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

POW Money Transfer Request Cards

Started by Michael Dobbs, June 23, 2022, 09:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received the following query:

I have about 35 of these cards, what I call: POW Money Transfer Request Cards.

These cards were shown at our Hinckley regional meeting on 4 June and the person making the enquiry may have received more information there - or may not!

From looking at these cards he has worked out the camps in which these British soldiers were in and the whereabouts of the camps. They were sent to the Regimental Paymasters of REME and RAOC, both of which were in Leeds, and they each used a different system.

What he would like to know is:
- Has anything been written about them?
- Did any other Regiments have their Paymasters in Leeds?

Any information on this process would be gratefully received.

Thanks, Mike

Peter Harvey

Hi Mike,

As I am sure you will know, whilst this is a money request, the card is a standard Prisoner of War postcard, in this case used as a money order request.

This is not unusual, these cards were used for lots of personal finance matters, written to Regiments and Banks in the UK requesting payment or cheques to be drawn, amongst other things. I have seen examples also used to retailers (Harrods comes to mind), where requests have been sent with parcel and food orders to be charged on account, so for money payment purposes.

Regimental Paymasters in Leeds included all of the West Yorkshire Regiments.

Peter