• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

WW1 - “Hostile Countries Censor / Salisbury House, London”

Started by Michael Dobbs, July 04, 2022, 04:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

An item I found hidden away in my email 'in' box which I meant to do something about two years ago now during the covid lockdown!  Circulated via another philatelic group, in view of the content I thought it might be appropriate for our Forum.  I sought permission from the author, Paul Davey, to publish it on our website.  If anyone can add to it or provide further information I'll be happy to pass it on.

The following is the text of the two covers displayed:

A number of Germans and Austrians from South Africa and a few from Rhodesia and other British areas in southern Africa were interned during the First World War. The larger camp was Fort Napier in Pietermaritzburg. For many years I had what looked like a reused registered envelope (fig 1) from the camp to the Deutsches Hilfsverein (German aid association) in Stockholm, sent 1 June 1915. It had a trilingual PRISONER OF WAR handstamp on the front. It transited London on 22 June and arrived in Stockholm on 28th. A stamp had been removed and the envelope was censored by the "HOSTILE COUNTRIES' CENSOR, / SALISBURY HOUSE, LONDON".

I recently found a similar cover from the same camp but dated 18 October 1915 (fig 2). This one however was addressed to Bohemia – Austria via a Bureau in Neuchatel, Switzerland where it arrives 15 November. Like the first it has a stamp removed. Both covers are resealed by the pink resealing label (usually found on POW mail) and marked POST FREE / P.C. / PRISONERS OF WAR.

I conclude that the stamps were removed by the censors, but I have seen very few WWI registered POW items to know if this was usual. Both were addressed to neutral countries but obviously destined for forwarding to "the other side"! Can anyone show others?

Mike

Graham Mark

Hello Mike
The "Hostile Countries Censor" was a title that became redundant in late December 1914.  It was renamed "PW Branch" of the censorship.
Censorship began in August 1914 in Post Office premises, but the "Neutral Countries" censors moved to Salisbury House. on London Wall, in September, leaving the "Hostile Countries" censors in King Edward's Building until they also moved to Salisbury House in November.
The marking directing mail to the "Hostile Countries Censor at Salisbury House" continued in use after the change of name, and after the PW Branch moved to Strand House in Carey Street in early 1916, and I have only recorded it used on mail from South Africa.  I therefore conclude it was applied in S Africa, not in Britain.
The removal of stamps from PoW mail was normal practice in Britain to frustrate attempts to pass messages under the stamps.
Note:  mail from camps in Britain often has postage stamps but they were applied by the camp authorities after the sender had handed over his penny and  the letter had been examined.
Best regards, Graham