• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

RNAS Armoured Cars WWI : stolen parcel

Started by Tony Walker, September 30, 2022, 03:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

I recently acquired a telegram (in 3 pages) sent from the RNAS Armoured Car Division when they were fighting with the Russians in WWI, in the far southeast corner of Russia on the Turkey and Persia borders.

I'm having difficulty attaching a scan, but essentially the telegram is from the Armoured Cars at their forward base at Kars just inside the Russian border with Turkey, and transmitted on 28th September 1916

It is addressed in freehand to :

Commanding Officer, 48 Victoria? Street, London, and asks

Ask police to investigate contents and particulars of parcel belonging to Petty Officer Frost of this force at present under arrest for stealing stop.  Parcel in in custody of Courtlander? Art jeweller 55 and 56 Glorce? Street, Richmond and we have documentary evidence to that effect stop. Wire in detail contents parcel as believed to contain stolen property belonging to this force end.  Number 237. Armoured cars

No Glorce Street in Richmond, and no jeweller of that name I could find.

Any chance of anyone being able to add more info to this. I imagine the Armoured Cars would not wish such an incident to be widely discussed.  I can find no mention of a PO Frost in my reference books.

I may be able to attach a photocopy, but it's a large file so you may have to make do with the text above

Cheers
Tony

Tony Walker

Update

Have found the jewellers Courtlander, they are still in Richmond!  May drop them a line.

Cheers
Tony