• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

British Army in Belgium post WW1

Started by Peter Stockton, October 17, 2022, 05:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Stockton

I am starting to write up some items from the Occupation of the Rhineland period but have come across a selection of postcards from British troops stationed in Belgium during 1919. I differentiate items sent from Belgium in 1918 during the movement of troops towards the Rhineland but why were British forces still in Belgium after that ? Any help much appreciated.

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Peter

Top of my head I'd say, probably Battlefield clearance plus of course the work of the Graves registration units.

Chris

Peter Harvey

I would agree with Chris. Also early in 1919, some units were held in Belgium, with the advance having already been successful, later in 1919 we were also starting to sell off stores, supplies and equipment, so a general run down of military operations outside the Rhineland.

I also have read many cards from troops in Germany stopping in Belgium on their travels home, remembering that the BEF Main Line TPO's also stopped in Belgium.

Peter

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Peter

Further thoughts on this 1919 period. February 1919, if memory is working is when units regained their original FPO datestamps following the series of Security swaps.

This period therefore can show the last of the swap allocations and if related correspondence ties up with their origination cancels once regained.

Therefore there's-scope for tying up the censor allocations with the original units.

Thoughts for your consideration

Chris

Peter Harvey

Chris I Agree,

Most of what you see from this period with censor cachets in Europe is from Germany, where following the armistice there appears to have been significant transit to and from Germany and stops in Belgium etc, which travelling back to the UK.

Certainly a good idea.... but a significant task.