• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

CEYLON WW2 CENSORSHIP.

Started by Ross Debenham, October 19, 2022, 07:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

Iam hoping that members may be able to help me with the attached cover. An OAS cover sent by J H S Moore 7265671 to England. Initially post marked at No.9 India Advanced Base P.O. on 27 February, 1944 and again at East African Army P.O. 58, both of which I believe were stationed on Ceylon. This is where I believe is where it gets interesting. Censored using with army censor tape, Type a.500 censor marker number 8371, and also censored using SEAC Field Censor mark number 64. My questions are what censor marker would have been applied first and does anyone know where a.500 no. 8371 was used.[attach id=6399]ceylon424.jpg[/attach] 

Ross Debenham

Further to the above I attach the reverse of the envelope showing the sender of the cover. Can any member help me with any information on the sender.

Peter Harvey

Hi Ross,

I do not think there is an easy answer to this. The Field Censor 64 cachet is more commonly associated with the Indian Army, so I would be inclined to say that this was applied first. Both cachets are however 'unit' cachets and although you have an A500 cachet, this does not to me typically fit with handling through the EA APO.

I would assume that as this was sent to London at some point (assuming after the EAAPO) this was handed to the British and at that point the A500 applied (in Ceylon prior to travelling to the UK?).

Peter

Michael Dobbs

Sorry to say there is no record of Type A500 censor 8371 by the late ALK in the ledger in which he recorded WW2 censor marks.

Mike

Ross Debenham

Thanks gents, the quest continues.