• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Type 2 Censor No 2755 in 1915

Started by Chris Grimshaw, October 28, 2022, 01:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon team

One puzzling one which my research has thrown up on the Type 2 censors in 1915 / 16 is No 2755.  FD recorded this as 8th Battalion Welsh Regiment 13th Division, I have one example cancelled Field Post Office S Z 1 – Dated 23 July 1915 which was located a Cape Helles. After the evacuation 8th Battn part of 13th Division transferred in Feb 1916 to Mesopotamia via Egypt. 

Two further examples I have are both from 10th Division, D10 29 December, 1915 and FPO T10 17 January 1916. 10th Div was in Salonika by this time. I record nothing else with this censor currently.

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Example from FPO D 10 shown.

Alan Baker

Sorry to be picky, but your first example is CM2/2775, not 2755

Chris Grimshaw

Well spotted Alan

Back to 'Spec Savers' on this one.  A senior moment.

Chris

Alan Baker

Looking at AK's ledger, comparing it to FD's records and Google I have found:

2775 - FPO D13 Dec 1915 (AK ledger). FD records this as the 8th (Service) Battalion, Welch Regiment - divisional pioneers wef Jan 1915. The division landed at Cape Helles in July 1915, later being transferred to ANZAC Cove in August. It was finally withdrawn in January 1916.

However, the censoring officer appears to be Capt GE Chadwick of the E Lancs Regt, part of 38th Brigade, 13 Division.

2755 - FPO D10 Dec 1915, FPO T10 Dec 15 - Jan 16 (AK ledger). FD records this with LVIII Bde RFA, part of 11 (Northern) Division. This brigade landed at ANZAC in August 1915 and was place temporarily under the command of 10th (Irish) Division a week later. It left Gallipoli in December for Egypt.

The censoring officer appears to be A or G M Woodside but I cannot find him anywhere. There is an Alfred McBride Woodside with the RFA, but the brigade he appears to be with did not leave France. I'll check him out further

One anomaly is that AK records this CM No with FPO 2 in August 1915. According to Proud, this FPO No was used by 25 Brigade in Security period 1 and this brigade remained on the Western Front throughout the war.

AK also notes against this entry "67th Bde RFA". This brigade joined the 10th (Irish) Division in October 1915 from 13th Division. The Division was at this time in Salonika and remained there until transfer to Egypt in 1917.

Chris Grimshaw

Alan Baker

I have found Major A McB Woodside on FWR as MiD for services with the Egypt Expeditionary Force from Sept 18 - Jan 19. His unit is RFA but no brigade No noted