• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Troopship HMS Dufferin Type 3 Censor 1916/1917

Started by Peter Harvey, November 14, 2022, 07:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Attached are pictures of a 1916 - 1917 card to reverse with a brief message to the writers tailors, headed December 26 1916 HMS Dufferin.

Dufferin was a troopship previously a training ship with the Indian Marine, but during WW1 acted as a troopship with service in Red Sea to support the Arab Revolt against the Ottomans. She was with HMS Anne and with the cruiser HMS Fox they arrived at Rabigh on 9 September 1916.

London postmark so I assume by bag to London and then posted.

Signed to reverse "Frig Lt", or 'Fright' ?? but I am interested in the unit allocated of the T3 censor cachet to the front No. 3870. Frank Daniel records this as allocated to the Ayr Yeomanry - but I am struggling to associate the Ayr Yeomanry with the Dufferin, any thoughts welcome?

Regards Peter

Alan Baker

AK in his ledger records CM3/3870 with HMIS Dufferin in Jan 1917.

I have found an AB L Fright J11090 on Ancestry but have not been able to pin him down to Dufferin

The ship has about 30 entries in the book "TE Lawrence and the Red Sea Patrol" and spent much of the war ferrying troops and supplies in that area, also removing prisoners.

Alan Baker

It appears that the Frights all bore the name Lewis as first or second christian name. They all came from Kent

I have seen the service record for LF J11090 but no mention of Dufferin.

J Lewis Fright was a private in the RMLI but again no apparent connection to Dufferin

Not sure where FD made a connection to the Ayrshire Yeomanry. My copy of his original book doesn't say this but does list HIMS Dufferin in 1917.

Graham Mark

Hello
Looking at my copy of Frank Daniel's book I see no mention of the Ayrshire Yeomanry against censor 3/3870, neither is there any note of that unit on Frank's worksheets, only HMIS Dufferin.
Graham

Peter Harvey

Thanks both for the comments, one of those mysteries that never get resolved, or something pops up in the future and helps out.

I refer to Frank Daniels's book, which has significant notes, both from me, articles (typically FPHS) and also discussion with Frank many many years ago.

Help appreciated.

Peter