• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Unraveling F Daniel's Type 5 Censor

Started by Chris Grimshaw, November 17, 2022, 04:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team,

The late Frank Daniel when studying the Censorship of British and Allied forces in WWI did not cover Types 5 and 6.

I've now made a start on trying to unravel this series based on material I hold and 'mining' the internet.

What do we know so far?

Type 5 was only used on the Western Front and Italy, this includes the Stationary offices in France.

FD recorded that Type 4 was replaced 7 November 1916

Therefore 8 November 1916 should be the earliest date we should find. Earliest date I record currently is 26 November 1916, Latest date I record is 17 October 1917, I record 25 October 1917 with Type 6 so changeover occurs somewhere within these dates.

During the life of Type 5, there are three security swaps involving the 'fighting' units from Division, Divisional Train and Brigades. These are phase II, III & IV. 

Did the series start at No 1? first example I currently record is No 39, highest No is 5679, However we don't know if all no;s were issued as yet.

With expansion of the Army its possible more numbers were required.

Looking at Type 4, FD records highest No as 4462, however from No 4220 records are almost all blank.

If anyone has material from Type 5 I'd appreciate details and ideally scans.  My aim is to build up a record of primary material based on scans which will stand as a permanent record.

Chris

Jim Mackay

Hi Chris
Here are some Type 5s that I have.

Censor number Cancel     Date
27 APO S15   29 Dec 16
271 APO S45     3 Oct 17
333 APO S38   19 May 17
428 APO RP1   15 Mar 17
439 APO 1     31 Jan 17
528 FPO 121     18 Sep 17
865 FPO H17     20 Dec 16
1586 FPO T55     21 Jan 17
3230 APO S47     9 May 17
3267? APO S8   26 Nov 16
3481 APO 2   24 Feb 17
3670 APO R49   22 Mar 17
3949 APO S35     7 Mar 17
3402 FPO 165   5 June 17
3998 FPO TW3   3  Ap 17
4762 APO S80?    29 Jy 17

Regards
Jim

Alan Baker

When I get five minutes (or days) I will go through the records I have accumulated from AK's material, index cards and ledger.

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Jim, Very useful, If no trouble can you supply scans, As mentioned this is the approach I'm planning on taking. It will then create a permanent record. Not a five minute job I appreciate.

Further thoughts on this series.

FD when he did his work on Types, 1,2,3,4, & 7 listed numerically starting a No 1 for Types, 1,3,4 7, Type 2 starts at 1301 This gives us large blocks showing allocation to a Division etc.

Type 5 is very much a 'scatter gun'approach, for example 36th Division, No 39 used by 109th Brigade, No 708 108th Brigade, No 3737 used by 107th Brigade. the list goes on.

To attempt to record this series numerically will be very difficult to establish any sort of pattern.

Currently I list numerically, but am coming round to the idea of three or four files, One for the Base Offices, One for the 'S' Series of offices, One for the Corps and HQ FPO/APO series and then list the 'fighting units' at Divisional level down numerically by Division. A mammoth task but probably the only way of identifying any sort of pattern.

Once set up like this hopefully by looking at the functions the APO S series served we can start to identify units like Hospitals etc.  Further thoughts welcomed. Not a project one can undertake alone.

If someone wishes to take on Type 6 feel the same approach would be required. Any volunteers?

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

A public thank you to Jim for his scans, very useful.

I'm currently working my way through a large accumulation of mail into Island Barracks Dublin.  There is a lot of 'Official Mail' this has got me thinking how was Official Mail treated?  Much but not all is backstamped at a APO R head office, treated similar to what we find on registered mail where each office handling such applied their cancel.
Registered mail of course was tracked and recorded on a docket. Whilst Official mail has no tracking numbers like registered mail I'm wondering if it was accounted for on its journey, for instance '30' Official letters for a particular address.  Note not all Registered mail or Official mail was backstamped.  I can think of no other explanation why it should be backstamped.

Chris 

Alan Baker

Regarding CM6, I have been recording info from the same sources as before, AK material, index cards and still to come his ledger.

I'm currently working on CM4 from FD's notes and unlikely to reach a point where I can move on well into next year