• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Indian FPO s on the Western Front

Started by Chris Grimshaw, November 25, 2022, 04:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Working my way through the 'Island Bridge' material, have come across  one cover from IFPO 18 5 March 1917 with censor 5 / 1334. Security Phase III – Used by Siaikot Brigade 1 Cavalry Division

This raises a question, certainly for me, Did the Indian FPO's take part in the security swaps.

Proud in his 'Indian Army Postal Service Vol II' makes no mention of this as far as I can see.

It would seem odd that the British, Canadian, Australian & New Zealand 'fighting' units from Corps down did so but not the Indian units.

Thoughts welcomed.

Chris

Alan Baker

Can't help you with the question, except to say that the ledger indicates this IFPO was in use with 1334 from June - October 1917

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Alan

Quoted date range covers two security swap phase's, III & IV suggesting No swaps.

Further data needed here from our WWI Indian material collectors.

Chris

Robert Gray

Indian Army Units used British censor hand stamps which were given on loan. On the WF there were no Indian Army only censor h/s just the loaned British ones. British Army censor marks are found on Indian FPO covers from Egypt, East Africa, and Transcaucus (Black Sea) campaigns.See attached from Batum Indian FPO 406.

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Robert

The query first, unfortunately so far we haven't been able to ascertain if the Indian Units on the Western Front participated in the Security swaps.  Based on Alan's reporting of the same censor which spreads over two Security swaps I'm leaning towards the view they didn't take part.  Further material required here from the Western Front from mid June 1916 when the swap system started.

The IFPO 406 cover with censor 7/467 is a cracker.  First example I've see or record of this censor.  Nothing shown for 7/467 by FD or J Slingsby.  Note in John's publication, 'Postal History of the Army of the Black Sea 1918-23' he lists some of the type censor numbers which were identified, However there were other numbers present in his collection he'd not listed, his view 'which I disagreed with him on' to no avail was he'd only list what was identified.

I also did a lot of work with the late Ed KLempka on the Southern Russia campaign, I'm sure he also had no example of this censor.

I attach a spreadsheet I put together a few years ago showing what censors we should find based on John Slingsby's Order of Battle.  As shown not all unit censors are identified.

Chris