• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Turkish POW in Burma 1918

Started by Chris Grimshaw, January 03, 2023, 03:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Still digging covers out from the 'Lock Down' box

Scans show a example of Turkish POW mail from Burma where we'd shipped 10.000 plus POW's during WWI

Mail is scarce, this is the second example I've managed to find over the years.

A No Stamp Required printed envelope addressed in Turkish from a POW held in Burma to Constantinople. 
A partial faint violet circular Censorship Stamp / Passed by Commandant / date / Signature or initials / Camp Thayetmyo / Burma handstamp. (Davis Type 54) Dated 3 March 1918
On arrival Black framed vernacular Turkish Censor Handstamp and Constantinople arrival circular date-stamp.

Below the 'No Stamp Required' box is what I believe to be his POW Number 5410 in script

Chris

Robert Gray

Chris, I am researching the WWI Burma PoW camps working with Bill Bennett. There are 2 regular camps: Thayetmyo (Jan 1915-Dec 1918) and Meiktila (July?1918-?1920). Shwebo was a rest camp with capacity of 90. The work camps at Aungban and Thamakhan probably didn't have associated postal history. The work camps helped with the Southern Shan States Railway.

If you have or can advise on where I might find additional covers from any these camps, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Bob Gray

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Bob

Link below will lead to a 72 page report from 1917 coverings visits to these camps. 

https://www.archive.org/stream/reportsonbritish00inteuoft#page/n3/mode/2up

Chris