• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

ON SERVICE machine cancellation 1943

Started by John Cranmer, January 16, 2023, 08:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cranmer

This is a scan of a cover from a Canadian Airman in Iceland.  Under the POSTAGE FREE with a slogan ON SERVICE machine cancellation is a date stamp RAF POST OFFICE 001 for the 6th of October 1943.  The machine cancellation is dated the 13th of October. 

I have not found any info regarding this machine cancellation  - mainly where was it used Iceland or Canada - I assume the later but some reference would be useful.

[attach id=6549]Iceland.jpg[/attach]

There is also an RAF censor cachet type R6 number 114 which is recorded used in Reykjavik.

John Cranmer

Peter Harvey

Hi John,

I assume the machine POSTAGE FREE was applied on arrival in Canada so that no charge was applied to the cover, prior to delivery.

I will ask a few collectors in Canada and come back to you.

Peter

Peter Harvey

Hi John,

I asked Mike Street of BNAPS and he does not think the machine mark is Canadian, so he is making further enquiries, I hope this is okay.

Regards

Peter Harvey

Hi John,

Mike Street came back to me with the following information, he found reference to this. If you would like to email Mike directly, drop me a note and I will pass on details:

Cecil Coutts, SLOGAN POSTMARKS OF CANADA, Third Edition 2007

In the catalogue it is number SSM-75:  ON SERVICE.  Dater reads POSTAGE FREE. 

A 1941 proof exists. Saw 9 Oct 1941, 13 Aug 1942 and 27 May 1944.  Others reported.

Used at Ottawa 1941-45. Machine is Pitney Bowes

John Cranmer

I have been in touch with Mike Street re the above and its scarcity.  He points out that Peter somehow omitted the last line of his reply - see below.

Cecil Coutts, SLOGAN POSTMARKS OF CANADA, Third Edition 2007

In the catalogue it is number SSM-75:  ON SERVICE.  Dater reads POSTAGE FREE. 

A 1941 proof exists. Saw 9 Oct 1941, 13 Aug 1942 and 27 May 1944.  Others reported.

Used at Ottawa 1941-45. Machine is Pitney Bowes

[b][u]50.00 $  <<<Value in 2007. Not sure what it would be worth today, but the 2007 value suggests how rare it is.[/u][/b]