• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

US LIAISON IN NAIROBI.

Started by Ross Debenham, February 02, 2023, 05:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I attach both sides of a re-used cover initially sent from an unrecognisable APO to "US Military Observer" at Political Headquarters, no doubt in Nairobi. Question one is has any member seen this type of "On Active Service" envelope previously. Also one wonders if there would have been a US Military Observer in Nairobi. The cover was again reused to send an order no doubt to a commercial supplier, and using censor marker 181, which I believe was one of a series issued to West African forces in East Africa. Can any one confirm if this censor markers was used by WA forces.

Peter Harvey

Hi Ross,

I can not help out with the censor mark sorry, maybe Jamie Smith can help you through a Facebook enquiry?

I was interested in the address U.S. Military Observer Political HQ E.A. Command, and what a U.S. military observer was doing in EA.

Again I could not find any references to this. Initially I thought he was part of the U.S. Special Observer Group established in 1941, but they were disbanded in 1942 in most areas and there is no reference to them ever being in KUT. I did find some references to U.S. military observers in India 1942 - 1944 as attached to the U.S.Foreign Service.

In this general google research I came across the attached cover and airgraph to the Political Headquarters E.A. Command and thought you might be interested in seeing them.

Regards Peter

Ross Debenham

Thanks Peter, I've got a letter to Captain Smith in Harar in my collection. I'll have a word with Jamie about it.