• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Japanese Camp Currency?

Started by Colin Tabeart, February 14, 2023, 08:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Tabeart

My Dad brought this back from his time in various Japanese POW camps. I don't know what its significance was to Dad but he kept it by his bedside. As far as I know the only Japanese occupied territory that used rupees was Burma? But Dad was never in Burma. After Changi he was moved to Formosa, then Japan, and finished the war in a camp in Manchuria, which was liberated by an American Major and a Russian Colonel! Can anyone help with what the note was for, and what the adhesives are?
Many thanks, [attach id=6586]Ten Ra.jpg[/attach] Colin

Neil Williams

Colin

yes concerning the currency, 100cts to 1 Rupee from October 1942, and the stamps are Burmese Government (ie Japanese puppet) also.

as you say, odd if he was never there. A cherished souvenir of somebody?

Neil W

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Colin

Not seen this before.  Probably the best place for information will be the series of books published by David Tett two or three years ago. I series of six I believe covering POW's and Internees held by the Japs.

Chris