• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

APO 4340 in WW2

Started by Michael Dobbs, March 20, 2023, 11:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received a query regarding the location of APO 4340.  The only reference to the query is a letter (undated and no envelope) which bears this APO in its address (see illustration).  The person making the enquiry states:

[color=maroon]I am currently researching a British soldier from WW2 who was an Army Catering Corps cook in Princess Louise's Kensington Regiment (PLKR). His overseas postal address was APO (Army Post Office) 4340.
Do you know where this APO was located? I believe it could have been either North Africa or Italy as this is where the PLKR served in WW2.

Cpl G.A. TURNER ACC had a fiancée on the Faroes Islands where he had been previously stationed as a RA Bdr before transferring into the ACC.[/color]

I do not list APO 4340 in my APO number listing, meaning that it has not been reported in the Post Office Circulars as being an address which was able to receive Concession (CSN) or Expeditionary Force Message (EFM) telegrams.

Does anyone have any covers / airgraphs, etc addressed to or from this particular APO number please?

Thanks, Mike

Nick Colley

Weren't APO numbers like that used as temporary addresses for units in transit? I recall I have a few examples - not necessarily that particular number, though - always as a manuscript return address. A quick look at Wikipedia confirms your enquirer's observations concerning North Africa and Italy.

chrs
N

Michael Dobbs

Nick

In the main yes, used as temporary addresses but some were in use much longer than others.
For background information please see my article "Numbered Army Post Office (APO) Addresses Used on British Forces Mail During WW2" in Journal 274 (Winter 2007).

Mike