• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

INDIAN NAVAL CENSORED COVER (MAYBE)

Started by Ross Debenham, September 29, 2023, 07:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I attach 2 scans of a WW2 cover, recently purchased, which I believe may have been from a navy ship, visiting Bombay. Can any member help me with the location of the a.200 censor marker and the POSTAGE FREE cachet on the front of the cover. Also, I believe the B post marker on the reverse of the cover may have been used in Bombay, as I have seen it before on covers from naval sources. Hope members can assist.

Neil Williams

Ross

The B-1 mark is indeed Bombay. I find it interesting this style of mark was being used in WW2. Widespread use of this style as a stamp obliterator seems to have 'ceased' by 1900. 

Neil W

Michael Dobbs

Ross

Not able to provide very much help, sorry - Alistair Kennedy's WW2 Army censor listing shows (as sent in by Geoff Hanney):

Type A2  - 191    there is record which appears to be ROC H173 but not sure what means although has the unit as the 5th Suffolk

Mike

Ross Debenham

Peter Harvey

Hi Ross,

The B-1 is Bombay, I see this often on the back of covers and typically there is a Bombay connection. Sorry I can not help with the censor cachet.

Peter

Michael Dobbs

Ross

I have very recently purchased an item (front only from an Air Letter sheet) which has the 3AS India stamp cancelled with the B-1 mark.  The reverse of the piece shows the sender to be a Driver (922929) with the IAOC (Indian Army Ordnance Corps?) with 20 Ind Mob W/S Coy (50 Indian Mobile Workshop Company) Middle East Force, c/o Base Air Postal Depot, Karachi and addressed to Gurjala, Gurjala Post, Guntur Dist, India.

The page on which it came had the following write-up: "B-1" killer: an old Bombay mark brought back into use during World War II.  Originally used from around 1873 until the 1880's.

Does not fully answer your query, but I hope you find it useful.

Mike