• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

WW1 Malta Query

Started by Michael Dobbs, May 28, 2014, 09:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Mark

Although the writer of the card provided for his LtCol to sign I expect it was a more junior officer who actually had the job.  But it was not censorship if it was in 1919.
Looking in the Half Yearly Army List of July 1925 for someone with initialls WHR who was in the Buffs, I have found William Henry Rowe, b1899, 2Lt The Buffs 12/9/17, Lt 12/3/19.  I can just about make the name fit the signature. 
From 16Feb24 to 2fEB30 he was employed with the Kings African Rifles, and was promoted Captain 1Aug30

Peter High

David Ball asked for reports examples of Cm2 - 2747 on items from the hospital ship Devanha.
I have two within the timescale he quoted.
1. on a pic postcard of HMHS Devanha. APO SZ2 cds 5 NO 15
2. on a pic postcard of Le Caire, Egypt. Newly arrived at Southampton. Writer says that they have come over with a load of convalescents from Egypt.  "....we have been 13 days on the way here, we had it very rough."  Cancellation is 8 barred mute of Southampton. Casualties were probably from the Dardanelles.

Regards,

Peter