• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

For what do the initials JH stand?

Started by mdixon, July 29, 2014, 08:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdixon

I have a WW2 British military air mail letter card used in KUT to Johannesburg South Africa.  The ALC is manuscript dated 18 October 1942.  It is franked with a 5c. plus a 20c. KUT adhesives.  The adhesives are cancelled with a 21mm high triangular hand stamp with the letters JH., i.e., JH followed by full stop; the sans serif thin letters are 8mm high. There is a Daynes Type 3D (?) for examiner 442 on the cover.  No arrival or transit marks.  Any help identifying the triangular mark would be appreciated.  Thanks.  Michael Dixon

Frank Schofield

Michael
I have two Naval Airmail covers with this mark on
1. Addressed to Johannesburg, dated Oct 1941 franked with a GB 10d stamp, cancelled with a single strike of the J.H. triangular mark.
2. Addressed to Port Elizabeth, undated franked with 2 x GB 1/2d and 3 x 3d GB stamps. cancelled with 3 strikes of the mark.
Both have the usual Naval tombstone censor
I have always thought these were flown to Johannesburg and cancelled there
Frank Schofield

akennedy

This is Johannesburg.
The triangular handstamp followed the British style, used for duplicated circulars.
Used in Jo'burg on some military mail in WW2, presumably for security - no place or date.

Alistair

mdixon

Alistair and Frank:

A gezillion and one thanks to each of you for the clarification/explanation!

Michael in Oregon