• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

11631 Pte David Spencer, HLI

Started by Alan Baker, August 04, 2014, 12:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

A friend of mine is hoping to find out about a relative of his who was killed on 8th March 1916 while serving with the Highland Light Infantry. Is there any source he can use to find this information, where he was serving, place of death etc?

Not my field, I'm afraid. (Not sure what is...)

Chris Weddell

Hi Alan,
          I have only had time to take a quick look.I have found this info David Spencer born C. 1892 Died 1916 Age 24.Born in Haywood Lanarkshire.Resided in Glasgow.He was British.He was the son of Samuel Spencer of 963 Dumbarton Road Scotstourn Glasgow.He was PVT 11631 in the HLI 1st Battalion and was KIA on the 08/03/1916 in Mesopotamia and commemorated in Iraq.If you need more info let me know and i will look in to him a bit deeper.
                                              Christopher

Chris Weddell

Hi Again,
            No luck so far with his service records but i will keep on looking.I did find his medal index card.I also looked up which actions were taking place in Mesopotamia on the date when he was K.I.A. and found two which were 1, from the 5th till 8th april 1916 the battles of the Hanna and Fallahiyeh and 2, from the 7th till the 22nd of April 1916 the battles of Bait Aisa and Sannaiyat.I think this will narrow down to where he was K.I.A. I will see if i can find any Casulty list for these battles.I will also keep looking for more info on him.

Christopher

Alan Baker

Chris

Brilliant. My friend confirms he was killed in Mesopotamia, but has not further details

Many thanks

Alan