• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

29th Stationary Hospital WW1

Started by Chris Grimshaw, August 31, 2014, 09:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Hi All

Probally one for Frank here,

Currently researching a cover from 29th Stationary Hospital to Mudros West

Cancelled APO S 101 10th January 1918,  APO S 101 was located at Arquata Italy, Oval cachet of said hospital dated 7th Jan 18

29th Stationary Hospital moved to Cremona Italy from Salonika 1st November 1916.

Cremona is located 131 kilometres North East of Arquata.

Would this have been the closest APO to this Hospital location?

Cheers

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

Getting confused by the 1st Nov 1916 date , No British Troops in Italy, other than the Military Mission in Rome. The British Adriatic Mission ceased around about April that year
Please confirm
Frank

Chris Grimshaw

Frank

Information was taken from "Firebrace" page 327

29th Stationary Hospital

19th June 1916 Mobilised at Aldershot, sailed from Southampton on H S Essequibo

5th July 1916 Established at Karaissi in Salonika

1st November 1916, Hospital dismantled and transferred to Italy.

No further information, did it go straight to Cremona?

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris
Afraid "Firebrace" is up the wall with this one

29th Stationary Hospital arrived in Italy on 22nd November 1917 from Salonika
It apparently was divided into three sections A, B & C. it went to Cremona
Section 'B was sent to Turin on 15th Apr 1918
No mention of the other two being at Arquata (APO S101) at any time
38th Stationary Hospital went direct to Arquata on 21st November 1917 from France I have a couple of items from there
A convalescent Depot was established at Arquata on 29th Nov 1917, I wonder if the sender was sent there from Cremona to recover that might explain the APO S101
APO L5 was set up in Cremona early in Feb 1918
Hope of some use
Frank

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Frank

What is your reference for this information please?

The only other information in "Firebrace" covers 30th Stationary Hospital,

30th Stationary Hospital

10th July 1916 Established at Karaissi

22nd November 1917 Hospital dismantled and transferred to Italy

15th April 1918 Returned to Salonika and broken up.

Scan of 29th cover attached.

With a delay of three days between cachet applied and date-stamp applied I'm happy cover originated from Cremona.

With the splitting of the hospital into three sections this may explain why the No 29 was added in manuscript on the cachet.

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

Nice to get a reply for info supplied (hopefully correct) last two replies not even a thanks, was getting to the stage is it worth bothering!!!

Anyway

My source for this was

History of the Great War (Based on Official Documents). MEDICAL SERVICES, Vol III which covers Italy

Frank

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks again Frank

Will complete write up based on your source,

Have you come across the Stationary Hospital cachet un-numbered before? (ie manuscript number added) I don't have sufficent material to form any conclusions.

Cheers

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

No, not seen this oval one before, my two strikes for the 38th at Arquata are boxed 38th / STATIONARY / HOSPITAL

Frank

Chris Grimshaw

Frank

Does the Official History mention 30th Stationary Hospital?

Cheers

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

Yes

Arrived in Italy 10th Dec 1917 to Cremona, returned to Salonika 5th Apr 1918

the only other Stationary Hospital listed is the 51st arrived from Malta 3rd Jan 1918, this too was split in 3 sections, 2 in Genoa the other in the Arquata base

Frank

Frank Schofield

Chris

Scan of the two items from 38th Stationary Hospital attached

Frank

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Frank

Information for 30th ties up closely with "Firebrace" wonder what he based 29th on.

A nice page, would like to see your display on British Forces in Italy sometime.

I have a recollection that one of these Hospitals took their type 7 Censor Hand-stamp with them but can't remember which number or unit.

Any clues?

Will be adding this page to my display at Newcastle PS on the 16th September.  One thing I like about collecting APO SX3 is the range of cachets found on mail from there.

Suspect we have Geoffrey Hill who was Orderley Room Sergeant with 3rd Battn R Marines at Mudros to thank for that, I suspect he was a collector.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Frank

Completed page for the record.

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

Re the type CM7 used in Italy. I have in my censor records that a CM7 No 101 was cancelled at APO S100 (Taranto) on 30th November 1917.  This is 11 days before the 30th arrived in Italy - very interesting - could it have been an advance party??

Frank

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Frank

Yes, sounds like an advance party or when they first landed in Italy, they would have travelled on the Overland route, Salonika to Bralo by train, accross the mountains to Itea and by sea to Taranto.

The only record I have of 7/101 is October 1917 at APO SX15 which seen a little odd as they wern't located here. Information ex FD.

Cheers

Chris