• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Help Needed with Handwriting

Started by Chris Grimshaw, September 05, 2014, 05:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Hi All

Part of the Egerton correspondence

Having dificulty reading the date line etc of this letter.

C/' H R C Blagdon?  ///////////  Alexandria, 23rd June

Interesting letter in which he talks about a convelesent camp being opened in Cyprus,

Cheers

Chris

Michael Dobbs

Chris

I read it as: Waterworks

Mike  :)

Robin Davis

Hello Chris,

Re-the Cyprus convalescent camp - the main convalescent camp was at Troodos. The exact date that it opened is not yet know but from a Red Cross notice in the Cyprus Gazette we know that it was already in being at the end June 1915. So your letter ties in with this.

Would it be possible to see a scan of the letter or at least the section where the Cyprus convalescent camp is mention please Chris.

Kindest Regards

Robin

Reg Gleave

I you google HRC Blagden there are several references to his involvement with the filtration works for supplying Alexandria with potable water. There is even a reference to a paper given to the Institution of Civil Engineers and you cannot get better than that!
Reg Gleave

Peter High

Chris

You may have other correspondence from Lt Mark Egerton, but I thought you might like to know of a couple of letters I have from him.
The first, on 'The Hood Battalion, Royal Naval Division' headed notepaper and dated 20 Feb 15 is addressed to his father at Admiralty House, Devonport. At that time Hood Batt were awaiting orders to proceed to war. Winston Churchill had made a visit to the Batt a week before. He writes: "We are off at last and sail next Saturday, some say for West Africa, some say for the Dardanelles. We are all very pleased as we are evidently getting on a show of our own as the result of Winston's visit last Wednesday. If it is Africa I will let you know and ask Johnston to get my kit ready as it will be pretty hot out there. If we get leave I will wire but I am afraid as have such a lot to do to get ready we shall not get any." On 27 February the battalion set out for Avonmouth and the transport Grantully Castle, which was to take them to the Dardanelles.
My second letter from him was written on board the ss Southland, 10 May 15, to his mother. He had been wounded in the shoulder during the battle of Achi-Baba on 6-8 May 15. The ss Southland was acting as a temporary ambulance transport, en route to Alexandria, from the Gallipoli peninsular. Egerton was taken to the Deaconess's Hospital at Attarine, Alexandria, where he stayed until about 11 June.
Lt Mark Egerton's letter of 10 May mentions that his fellow officer, one Rupert Brooke, the soldier poet, had died en route to Gallipoli.

Regards,

Peter

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks everyone for their input,

Robin, complete letter attached.

Peter, Your two letters sound very interesting, I have a number of letters and other items from this correspondence.

Reg, thanks, sounds a strange address too have mail sent too.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Robin Davis

Hello Chris,

Many thanks for the scan of the letter this is most helpful and is most appreciated.

Kindest Regards

Robin