• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Army Signals Mesopotamia

Started by Michael Dobbs, September 17, 2014, 09:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received the following enquiry:

[color=maroon]I am currently writing up my collection of World War 1 Mesopotamia ready to give a display to my local society (Solihull) in February.
I have Army Form C.398 going to Faluja (Iraq) dated 27.4.17
It has a ARMY SIGNALS hand stamp with the code YIC.
I am trying to find out what the code stands for because it would tell me its place of origin.[/color]

I have sent an interim response as follows:

The earliest document I have come across that provides an indication of the breakdown of codes used in such datestamps is the official publication "Director of Army Signals - Circular Memorandum" [C.D.S.389.] General Headquarters, 31st December 1915 with an imprint of (B60) 2250 1/16 H&S 3040wo.  This shows that in general terms the code Y indicates an infantry division, but there are exceptions, namely YCO = Indian Cavalry Corps and YRC Indian Cavalry Corps advanced HQ.

The same publication gives further examples for infantry divisions as shown below.  Whilst in each case they end in the letter R and the heading under which they came specifically states advanced headquarters, I would have thought R indicated rear headquarters !  You will see that whilst Y indicates division the second and third letters (ignoring the R) indicate the digits of the Division, e.g. A = 1; B = 2; W = 23; CZ = 3 & ?? = 30 (this presents a problem in working out); CC = 3 & 3 = 33; DH = 4 & 8 = 48

YAR = First Division
YBR = Second Division
YWR = 23rd Division
YCZR = 30th Division
YCCR = 33rd Division
YDHR = 48th Division

At first glance YIC could indicate: Y  = Division, I = 9, C = 3 (i.e. 93rd Division).  But I don't think this is possible and it has been suggested that 'I' may indicate India which may indicate 3rd Indian Division.  However, I don't have a clear understanding of what Indian divisions (or indeed what military formations) were involved in the Mesopotamian campaign.

Help appreciated.

Thanks, Mike  :D

mgibbs

3rd (Lahore) Indian Div was in Mesopotamia from April 1916