• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Crete 1917 - help wanted on censor mark

Started by Michael Dobbs, September 19, 2014, 09:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received the following enquiry from our website:

[color=maroon]I have a postcard to UK mailed by a British soldier sent probably from Canea Crete in June 1917 with a trianqular "Passed by Censor (crown) No 4118" censor mark. I can not find any reference as to where actually Censor 4118 was stationed.

It is rather unusual, as it does not have a militay post office datestamp, but was posted in the greek post office at Canea, Crete paying the correct 10 lepta postcard rate to abroad. The greek postmark is partly readable but it is June 1917. What makes it even more puzzling is the fact that it was handstamped in London with the Received from HM Ships / No charge to be raised.

So, the location of the 4118 Censor is crucial for the understanding of this item. In any case, I don't see why there were any British troops in Crete in 1917.[/color]

It is a Type CM3 censor stamp and Daniel does not record an allocation - your thoughts appreciated please.

Thanks, Mike

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Mike

I have material censored 3/4117 & 4119 used in late 1916 & early 1917 but nothing from 3/4118 unfortunatly.  A spread of material so no clear pattern which unit was using this censor.  A clue may lie under the brown paper suuck over the receipents name in the address.

FD recorded 3/4117 with FPO T22, (22nd Division) 3/4119 with FPO T10 & FPO 31 (10th Division) I also record 3/4119 with APO SX 2 in August 1916

Cheers

Chris

Michael Dobbs