• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

A A G

Started by usjoeden, October 09, 2014, 01:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usjoeden

Dear Colleagues!

I have an OHMS cover, stamped machine post marked [b][/b]LONDON S.W.1 14 FEB 1977[/b].
It is a type [i]Window-envelope so I can not see the Adressee. The cover is penmarked '[/i]att Mr E.L.G. Thomas, MOD-Small Arms[/i]'.

What interests me is a square marking in red: 'MINISTRY OF DEFENCE 14 FEB 1977  A A G Brigade of Gurkhas'. It is tied with a written signature. I assume that this red square mark is some type of 'Arrival Note' at the MOD Office. But what means the three letters AAG?

In MOD Acronyms and Abbreviations I found Air-to-Air Gunnery and when googling upon a2a I found a discussion whether canons are more effective than rifles!

Any ideas are welcome!

Ulf

Michael Dobbs

Ulf

I would usually associate the initials AAG as Assistant Adjutant General - this is an administrative post, albeit a senior one, in the British Army.

However, I am a bit confused  ??? of a cachet reading both Ministry of Defence and Brigade of Gurkhas and so I would appreciate a scan (or photocopy sent to me) of the cover please.

Thanks, Michael

usjoeden

Mike!

Thanks for comments, I enclose a scan. Your idea seems to be more adequate.

Regards

Ulf

akennedy

Administrative HQ of the Gurkha element of the British Army, designated Brigade of Gurkhas was presumably at Min of Defence HQ in London.

Alistair

usjoeden

Alistair!

Now I have got all info I need to mount and write up a sheet. Thanks to you and Mike for the explanations.

Ulf