• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Mail sent via ss Vega from Portugal 1945

Started by Peter High, October 31, 2014, 09:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter High

I have a postal stationery postcard cancelled Lisbon 28 Mar 1945 addressed to Belgium "Via Londres", addressee's details: Raol Le Jeune, s/s Vega, c/o Consular General de Suede a Lisboune. Message dated 27 Mar 45.
ss Vega was of course the Red Cross relief vessel which made several journeys to the German occupied Channel Islands during 1944-45. If this is genuine (and it looks good) it is the first piece of mail I have seen in 40 years or so of collecting hospital ship and Red Cross mails, written in ss Vega. 'A Tribute to the s.s. Vega' mentions POW mail and Red Cross Message Bureau mail carried by Vega but there is no mention of other mails written in or carried by the vessel.
I notice a British censor lozenge crown over PASSED P.140 (or 148) front middle top (poor strike). The date fits with Vega replenishing supplies in Lisbon prior to another sailing to the CI.
Does anyone know what route the card would have taken from Lisbon (air?)? Would the British censor mark have been applied in Lisbon or London? Is Le Jeune a diplomat or Red Cross official I wonder? [I note an author of the same name - was it him?]
Is other mail known from the vessel at this time (other than the POW mails etc mentioned)?

I regret not being able to attach scans of the card. Anyone interested please email me and I will send the scans.
peter.high94@hotmail.co.uk

Any comments from members will be much appreciated. :)
Regards,

Peter

Michael Dobbs

Peter

Thanks for sending me the scans - I have cropped and re-sized them to a much smaller size and now, hopefully, attached them to this post !

The two scans are the front and reverse of the postcard referred to by Peter in his post.

Mike  ;)

Graham Mark

At the date of writing, 27 March 1945, most of the Allies on the Western Front were fighting on German soil.  So there was no problem getting mail from Portugal into Belgium.  However shipping might have been at a premium and the most likely route was the first available ship going in the right general direction - ie to UK.  The British examined the card and passed it.  The P.140 or P.148 handstamp indicates it was looked at by the 'private' mail department (as opposed to 'trade', 'press', 'PoW' etc) of the censorship.
No sign of airmail transport, but that does not rule it out entirely, but unlikely.
I hope this helps.
Graham

Peter High

Thank you Graham for that.  Much appreciated.

Regards,

Peter :)