• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Card from HMHS Oxfordshire

Started by Chris Weddell, November 01, 2014, 05:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hi All.
      I have just got this card from HMHS Oxfordshire. It has a dated machine cancel for the 21st of July 1916. The sender was onboard the Oxfordshire as a patient i think and was was leaving on her. What i would like to know is where was she going. On top of the card  it says c/o india office should find me.

Thankyou

Chris W.

Chris Weddell

Hi,
    This is the other side of the card.

Chris W

Peter Harvey

Hi Chris,

I have a note from a previous sold card from Le Harve 16 July, so assume from there back to Southampton. However a quick google told me, the Oxfordshire served in the Persian Gulf and German East Africa during December 1916 and in 1918 as a shuttle hospital ship in the English Channel, so now a little uncertain!

Peter

Chris Weddell

Hi Peter.
            Thankyou for you help.This was the info i also found i just could not tie down where the Oxfordshire was going at this time.

Chris W.

Peter High

I have a cover from HMHS Oxfordshire addressed to India. It has a mute cancellation of Malta on the front and, on the reverse, Indian cds's of 6th and 8th July 1916.

[Just for the record, I have a photograph of the Oxfordshire in hospital ship colours taken at Dar es Salaam on 19 December 1916 (Imperial War Museum). She was there assisting in the German East Africa Campaign.

Chris Weddell

Hi Everyone,
                  Thankyou all for the help with this card. It look like the Oxfordshire was on her way to India.

Chris