• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Hospital ship cover ????

Started by Chris Weddell, November 18, 2014, 09:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hi All.
        I have been writing up my covers and i found this one.Looking though my Gould i think this maybe a  cover posted from the Scottish Hospital Ship St Margaret of Scotland.Could anyone confirm this for me.There is nothing on the back of the cover.
                                                      Thank you in advance

Christopher

Chris Weddell

Sorry i forget to add the scan  :'(

Chris

Peter High

Hi Chris
I can confirm that your cover is from the hospital ship St Margaret of Scotland. The censor mark reads: 'T.H.L.J.' between 'PASSED' and 'CENSOR'.  They are the initials of the Rev. Thomas Henry Leo Jellicoe (no relation to the Admiral), Chaplain, R.N.

I have two examples but both are indistinct, one being overstruck by the London machine Received From HM Ships etc, and the other poorly inked.
If anyone reading this has a good strike of the boxed mark I would appreciate a copy.

Regards,

Peter

Chris Weddell

Hi Peter,
            Thanks again for the help to confirm this hospital ship cover.I thought it was from the St Margaret of Scotland.I will put this one on the write up pile.

Chris