• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

S.M.S. Von Der Tann at the Battle of Jutland.

Started by Chris Weddell, November 30, 2014, 01:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hi,
   I have just brought a lot of 3 items from the S.M.S. Von Der Tann the first German battle cruiser. In the lot was a cover and two cards. One of the cards shows the graves and markers of sailors from the Von Der Tann dated the 31st of May 1916.This was the first day of the Battle of Jutland and does anyone have or know where to get a list of casualtys aboard the Von Der Tann at the time of Jutland.Thanks in advance.

Chris W.

Graham Mark

Vol.3 of Corbett;s official history "Naval Operations", appendix G states the casualties on board SMS Von der Tann at Jutland as:  killed 1 officer and 11 men, wounded 3 officers and 32 men.
A good friend is a retired German Naval officer.  I will email him to ask if lists were published and if they are readily available.
Watch this space.

Chris Weddell

Graham,
            Thank you for all the help so far. I could not find out anything on the net or the books i have about casualty numbers. I will be watching the space.

Chris W  ;D

Graham Mark

My friend in Germany has just sent me a message:
I have forwarded two mails from the Bundesarchiv regarding the names of died soldiers of Von der Tann in the battle of Jutland. As you can see from the answers, only lists of the officers do exist and available only by visiting the Bundesarchiv for personals studies.  Very sorry
My two friends from the local stamp club have not found more than that published on the internet.  At the grave yard here at Kiel there are thousands of soldiers both WW, not only Germans, but non of Von der Tann.
So I think the only way to solve the problem, is a holiday in Freiburg and personal researches in the Bundesarchiv.

I can let you have the original messages from the Bundesarchiv if you wish.
Seems the German Admiralty did not copy the British Navy Lists with full lists of deaths.
All the best
Graham

Chris Weddell

Graham,

Thank you for you and your friends help with this. I will have to see how i go from here.

Chris  ;D