• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

field post office 259

Started by Ross Debenham, December 28, 2014, 04:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I have an envelope from a private in India from post marked FPO 259 and access to another from the an ASM, from the same FPO to a grocers shop in Johannesburg, South Africa. Both were posted circa. 1944. I have googled SA units in India and apart from a ship being there no land forces were there. I thought they might be from East African forces, but as far as I can see they did not use British Field Post Offices. Can anybody help me as to where these envelopes may have originated from.

Ross D

akennedy

FPO 259 was one of the datestamps used by 2nd British Division, which arrived in India in June 1942. The division was involved in the Burma campagn from April 1944 to April 1945.
Alistair

Peter Harvey

Hi Ross,

Proud records this date stamp as Alistair notes, in Burma April 44 he then has this in Secunderabad between April and November 45 and then moving to Malaya. Proud allocates to the 2nd Division as below:

UK - 6/40 - 4/42 (OP Selby August 41)
India 2nd Div HQ 6/42 - 4/44
Bombay 4/42
Ahmednagar (no dates)
Poona 3/44
Kohima 3/44 - 4/44
Burma 4/44 - 12/44
Mandalay 2/45 - 3/45
India 2nd Div PU
Secunderabad 4/45 - 11/45
Malaya 2nd Div PU 12/45 - 2/47
Singapore May 46?
Seremban July 46?

Ross Debenham

Thanks Gents
I gives me some clues to where these envelopes may have originated from. The one I have in my possession was posted 10 November, 1944 so that puts it right in the middle of Burma.