• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Whereabouts of FPO 531.

Started by Chris Weddell, January 15, 2015, 04:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hi All.
       Does anyone know the whereabouts of FPO 531 on the 1oth of April 1944 .I know it was in Italy but would like to know where.

Chris  ???

Chris Weddell

Hi,
  This is a scan of the front of the air mail air letter. It was sent from the hospital ship H.M.H.S. Dorsetshire.

Chris.

Michael Dobbs

Chris

I can only go by what Proud records in his Volume III (1927-1963) who records FPO 531 as being:

APO S.572 Taranto, Italy - (3.10.43) - (2.12.48)
But then goes on to list the datestamp as being returned to the Home Postal Centre 1.7.[u]46[/u] !

Anyone else able to assist please ?

Regards, Mike  ;D

Chris Weddell

Mike,

Thanks for the help with this. Was it common to send mail from hospital ships via air mail ? ???

Chris.

Peter Harvey

Chris,

Its common to get Air Mail Letters from Navy Ships generally - so I assume hospital ships would be the same - especially with a transient population moving ship to shore - Nice item.

Peter

Chris Weddell

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the help.

Chris  ;D

Michael Dobbs

Chris

The censor stamp is an Army censor stamp and looks to be in the same handwriting as the address - which may indicate the air letter was from an officer as part of the staff of the hospital ship ?

What name / address does the sender give please ?

Mike  ;)

Chris Weddell

Mike,

The sender gives the address of Hospital Ship Dorsetshire c/o G.P.O. London E.C. She does not give a name, as the writer is a woman. Looking at the censor stamp the name is D L Well i think. I would say that is the sender.

Chris  ;D