• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

WW2 Italian PoW camps in UK

Started by dtrapnell, February 13, 2015, 08:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtrapnell

I am trying to make a list of camps which really did house Italian PoWs based on the evidence of cards & letters from UK camps with a clear sender's address camp no.(+/- camp authorizing h/s with legible number) plus letters etc to PoWs in UK camps.

The "German" list in FPHS Newsletter 227 is essentially the same as the "Italian" list in 229!  I suspect that lists have been copied without checking their reliability.
It is obviously possible that what was Italian at one time was German at another or both were housed in the same camp at times. So any list is going to have "fuzzy edges".

I so far have 25 Italian PoW camps with such "hard" evidence.

There seems to be wide variety in the British authorizing camp handstamps.
Do you know if these have been listed anywhere?

Please will anyone who has "hard" evidence such as that listed above, photos, maps etc be so kind as to post their evidence here? All such help will be personally acknowledged.

VMT  David

Peter High

David

I assume that you are aware of the book on this subject published in 2000? 'Prigionieri italiani in Gran Bretagna (1940-1947)' Ricerche storiche e testi a cura di Luciano Previato.
All in Italian, it lists and illustrates cachets used in the British POW Camps housing Italian POWs. It's difficult to obtain in the UK but our Society has a copy in the library.

Regards,

Peter ;D

Michael Dobbs

Peter - thanks for the update, for a moment I thought you were fluent in Italian !

David - needless to say you will need to contact our Librarian (Nick Martin) to borrow the book (njm.angel@btinternet.com) as he does not access the forum regularly (the last time was in November 2014).

Regards, Mike  :)