• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Indian FPO No.17

Started by mdixon, February 19, 2015, 08:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdixon

Would be most appreciative if somebody could give me the location of Indian FPO 17 on 21 September1915.  I have this cancellation on a Field Service Post Card addressed to Shanghai.  FSPC Type 1.8g (6/16) Burrows.

Two geziilion thanks and my First Born. ;D

Michael

Chris Weddell

Michael,

The only info i have is from 1914 to march 1918, the Indian FPO 17 was in France with no location given. This was taken from " A PRICED CHECKLIST OF INDIAN BASE AND FIELD POST OFFICES 1914-1924 " by Charles R Entwistle.

Chris  ;D

mdixon

Chris:

Many thanks.  'Fraid Entwhistle is not much help on locations.  The information in his booklet is too superficial.  In contrast, Proud is so full of errors (at least in his books on airmail) that I find them unreliable.

Michael

Peter Harvey

Hi Michael

Proud..... if you are happy with the quote has this located with the 1st Cavalry Division HQ 26 Oct 14 to 10 Nov 17 - located in France with no other location, I was assuming that you already had this?

Indian FPO 17 is one of the date stamps you often see on postcards, so hopefully someone can give you a steer on location based on cards (these are reasonably accurate in my opinion).

Peter

mdixon

Peter:

Thanks.  That is just the information for which I was looking.

Much appreciated.

Michael

PS:I await the address to where I should be sending mu First Born  ::)