• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Endorsement of language of contents "Written in Hebrew"

Started by dtrapnell, March 13, 2015, 11:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtrapnell

I have a Letter Card from Palestine postmarked TEL AVIV 21 SEP 1944 and stamped DEPUTY CHIEF FIELD CENSOR addressed to an RASC private in MEF.
The reverse has the cds of FPO 233.
The top of the card is endorsed "Written in Hebrew".
Can anyone tell me if endorsements such as this were required or optional, common or scarce, in British Middle East forces mail in WW2?
Did any other regional force apply a similar practice?
It was certainly used in UK WW2 civil internee and some POW camps.
The object was, presumably, to speed the letter to the correct censor.
Thanks.

Peter Harvey

Hi David,

It certainly was a common practice in many areas, I have both covers and letters with the word 'Written in_______' appended to the top, just looked two out one a civilian censored cover from Egypt with 'written in gaelic' to the top and several RN items from the same correspondent with 'written in welsh' on the cover and the letters headed 'To the censor letter written in welsh'.

Peter

dtrapnell

Thanks so much, Peter.
The Editor of PHS asked me for a paper so I have done one on "Written in ..." and the schizophrenic attitude to the principle in various countries.
I would be ever so grateful if you would be so kind as to let me gave a scan by email of the clearest Welsh cover and letter.
If I include it, I will of course fully attribute the image(s) to you.
The paper draws attention, for the first time as far as I can discover, to an international war-time practice.
I hope it will high-light a feature in many people's collections.
Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards & many thanks
David