• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

RFC/RAF aerodrome at Port Meadow Oxford in 1917/18

Started by Michael Dobbs, March 13, 2015, 11:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received the following enquiry via our website:

Hi, we are promoting locally a new WW1 memorial to 14 fatalities linked to RFC/RAF aerodrome at Port Meadow Oxford in 1917/18. I am very keen to get hold of "evidence" of squadrons present there at variuos times from August 1916. Would your library or members have any postmarks for 40 Reserve Sqdn, 35 Training Sqdn, 1 TS, 17 TS, 71 TS, 44 Training Depot Station and 2 School of Wireless Technology we could "show" copies of at events? 40 RS, 35 & 71 TS & 44 TDS (by merger of 35 & 71 TS's) were the largest. Many thanks, Peter

Asking for cover from specific units, especially in the UK, is an extremely tall order, but if anyone can assist I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks, Mike  ???

Michael Gould

The best place to find this information is in the official history of WW1 in the volumes dealing with the air. I know these can be quite hard to locate (Queens University Library in Belfast has them but that is probably not much use to you inquirer, but all the copyright libraries should have them if they can get to one of those or the Min of Defence library if they will allow them in - need to apply first). Michael

akennedy

The book "RAF Flying Training and Support Units" by R. Sturtivant, J.Hamlin and J.J.Halley (Air Britain (Historians ) Ltd, 1997) ISBN 085130 252, lists all the training units mentioned, plus 21 Wing (one of several locations). There are also photos on pages 234 and 282.

Postally, mail would almost certainly have passed through the local civil postal service.

Alistair Kennedy